Big Man is making dinner tonight.
This is indeed a rare treat!!
I have pretty much taken over the reigns in the kitchen…would you believe when we first met, Big Man did all the cooking and I burnt water. Now, I love putting together meals and menu plans. I love food more than possible. I learned how to cook by watching Paula Deen and Emeril on foodnetwork. And, I got good at it!
I have tried all sorts of food styles and types (usually to go along with whatever “diet” I was trying at the time. Over the last 5 years, I have tried Weight Watchers, blindly cutting calories, nothing but hoping the weight would come off, Visalus, and a gaggle of other diets. With each one, I had initial success but nothing lasted. I tried to fit in my favorite food, or modify them to be lower calorie, or only have them once in a while. None of that worked.
I recently read an amazing book, It Starts With Food (ISWF) and my mind has been opened! I have a formal book review coming tomorrow night but tonight I want to talk about food and a little bit about my Whole30 experience.
Today is Day 22 of my first Whole30 Challenge. I chose to do the Whole30 after reading ISWF, and as cliche as it is, I started my Whole 30 on January 1st!
- coffee with NO cream or creamer or splenda
- was I going to be hungry?
- was food going to be boring?
- was I going to be hungry?
- where’s my coffee?!?!
- what am I going to eat?!?
- how is this going to work with family meals (we make it a point to eat dinner at the table together every night while we can. I know as Q gets older we will not always have this time)
- really, only 3 meals?!
- can I do this!?
I have logged everything I have eaten since January 1st. I am using myfitnesspal…my username is mendingjen if you use MFP too! When I am finished the whole30 and I have a bit of time, I may write up a day-by-day food diary for the blog but for now, check out MFP. If we are friends you can see my food logs.
Feast your eyes on this instead!
What I have learned so far:
- I have not felt deprived.
- I have enjoyed the food I have been eating. Its pretty and delicious!!
- I have increased my veggie intake by at least double.
- I am not snacking, but I have had the occasional snack (when I determined I was truly hungry)
- I have made huge progress in eating what my body needs not what it thinks I want.
- I do 1000% better with sweets when I just don’t have any to begin with (insert pasta or bread in place of sweets and it works the same)
- I can drink black coffee but not every coffee. I like black tea.
- I like peppers and mushrooms.
- I can see myself eating like this (not as strict) for the long haul.
- I miss cream in my coffee. I think I can do without the splenda but I miss cream coffee.
- I like cashews, especially when paired with a banana.
- I can sit at the same table while my husband and daughter eat pizza, and eat meat and veggies.
I have one full week after tonight. And I am ready for it!!
Does whole30 scare you? Have you conquered the whole30? What is your favorite veggie dish?